Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Magnesium Decrease and Test Results...

Yesterday, the mag was decreased to 1.5 grams and I did well except for one stretch in the night. The nurse woke me up at 2am because I had slept through 8 contractions in one hour. But once I emptied my bladder and rolled over, they went away...whew! So this morning, my doc decreased the level to 1 gram. So far so good. When he stopped in tonight he said tomorrow he will be shutting it off! Then he will watch me for a day or two and if I do well I'll get to go home. If I start having contractions, we will try the Procardia again since I did well on it before for quite some time. If that doesn't work, then it's back on the magnesium. Terbutaline is no longer an option because it raises your blood sugar and...

Today I failed my 3 hour glucose test, which means I have gestational diabetes. I met with the nutritionist and will have to check my blood 4 times a day to keep it under control. They are very strict with gestational diabetes because of the effects too much sugar can have. There can be respiratory issues at birth, a higher chance of obesity in adolescence, jaundice, low blood sugar at birth, a large baby...and so on. Enough to give me lots of incentives to follow my diet, which will hopefully be enough to keep things under control. If not, meds will be prescribed. The good news is, gestational diabetes usually goes away as soon as you deliver.

I also got results back from my urine culture and I have a bladder infection...I had already started meds for that when the screen came back positive 2 nights ago.

Along with the bad results today, we did have some great news. We had an ultrasound, and my cervix is still the same! YEAH! Also, the baby is looking great and weighs approximately 2 lbs. 9 oz...so right where she should be! She had been head down for the last 3 weeks, but today she was breech. Later, when finding her heartbeat on the monitor, we found it way down low again indicating that she was head down again. Apparently she isn't ready to settle in yet:)

I think that's it for now, but please pray with us that tonight will be a quiet night and tomorrow we will be able to try things without the magnesium.



No comments: