Monday, May 7, 2007

Back in for the Final Countdown!

Last Wednesday I had a dr. appointment, and not surprisingly, I was having contractions again. He sent me up to the hospital, and I've been here since. I hadn't been able to take my next dose of Terbutaline because my heart rate was too high, and my contractions starting coming every 2 minutes! After I was able to take Terb. it didn't help enough and they were still every 7-8 minutes...so they hooked me back up to the Magnesium Sulfate.

I continued contracting every 10-15 minutes all day, and it got pretty painful. Later in the night the contractions got more frequent again and they had to turn the mag up from 2 grams to 3 grams. Between the contractions and the headache from the meds, I couldn't sleep. I finally dozed between 5am and 6am...not a fun night!

When I woke up at 6am I felt really funny, like I was going to pass out. My blood pressure was really low so they had to turn the mag down to 2.5 and later to 2 grams. It took the whole day to feel better but by bedtime my head didn't hurt so bad and I could see relatively straight.

I was really thinking there for a while that Josie was going to make her appearance, but through it all, my cervix remained relativelay the same and she stayed put. Although I would have been relieved to have this over, I'm glad she was able to stay in the best place she could be for a little longer.

I've been at 2 grams of the mag ever since and doing better. The doctor came in this morning and said that on Wednesday he will start weaning me off of the magnesium. Then I may go back on the oral meds for a few days. But after 35 weeks he won't stop labor anymore! This means 8 more days max in the hospital (except for the birth of course). I'm hoping that I may even get out of here for the weekend to enjoy Mother's Day at home with the kids...but I'm not holding my breath. So, assuminig we make it the next 8 days, she could come anytime after that!

So the countdown begins...Kaden, Jordan, and Brett helped me make a "Countdown to 35 Weeks" to put on the wall in my hospital room. I love seeing those numbers get crossed off! Kaden spent the Friday night up here with me (we had a lot of fun:) and the first thing he said to me in the morning was, "Mom, can I cross off the 11?" He's in a hurry for Mom to get to come home, too:)

That light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Hi Julie,

Sorry to hear you are back in the hospital. I know all too well how "un-fun" it is.

Shouldn't be too much longer though and you will have sweet, baby Josie to remind you of how worth it all it was!

Ashley