Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Daddy

So the other day after Brett had a doctor's appointment, he came home and told me all about an article he read in the waiting room about tips for parents with babies. He said he learned all about something where you wrap the baby up tight in a blanket and they like it. I said, "you mean swaddling?" He said, "yeah, that's it."

Then he proceeded to tell me about this carrier thing that you can put the baby in and carry her around the house with you as you do dishes, laundry, and whatever chores you have to do. He said how the baby likes to be close to you so if you use it they tend to cry less and are happier babies. I said, "you mean a baby sling that I told you about a few days ago when I mentioned I wanted to try one?" He said, "uh, yeah." Guess I know NOT to talk to him while he's watching TV or is on his computer:)

Oh boy...do I have my work cut out for me! Granted, it has been a long time since Brett's kids were babies, and he was younger than I was when he had his kids...but he's going to need some training! As most of you know, I was trained in the art of newborn care when I was only 10 when my niece, Kristen, was born! And ever since then, I had lots and lots and lots of practice with babies and children of all ages. It's like riding a bike, at least for me...and I'm sure hoping some of those things come back to Brett as he becomes a Daddy all over again:)

In his defense, Brett has done his best to take care of me and the kids throughout this pregnancy, and it hasn't been easy! We were still adjusting to married life together with 4 children, when the 5th little one started reeking havoc...and it has been a lot for all of us to deal with. He has had to completely take over the laundry, cooking, dishes, cleaning, shopping, not to mention tending to the kids' needs (and did I mention we have 4 of them!) While he's trying to do all of these things, he's also dealing with a demanding business that is in the process of expanding. He's usually working or we have the kids, which leaves little time for household chores. When I get frustrated that things aren't getting taken care of around here, he plainly admits, "I'm just not as good at this stuff as you are!"

Of course, we have the kids helping out, and I must say that they are becoming very capable little helpers! I can look past the piles of laundry that need to be folded and put away, I can ignore the dirty kitchen floor and even our pig sty of a bathroom (and bedroom), I can stay upstairs so I don't have to even look at the basement, and I can close the door to the baby's room so I don't start painting...but boy, I sure am glad I have my sisters, brothers, parents, and girlfriends, coming over this weekend to help out! It's getting harder and harder to lay here and do nothing when so much needs to be done, so I thank God for all of you and everything you've offered to do! It will definitely help to keep me from breaking all my rules...and remain somewhat sane for just a little longer. And for that Brett thanks you, too!

You know what they say, "When Mama's not happy...nobody's happy!"

Little Josie...we all love you very much, but Daddy will be very relieved when you arrive safely and Mommy can actually get off this couch do something:)

No comments: