Thursday, April 26, 2007

32 Weeks and Ultrasound

Two days ago we hit our big goal of 32 weeks! It is at this milestone that babies have a much lower risk of long term difficulties from being born too early. While this is a great point to be at, we still want at least two more weeks! It would mean the difference between leaving the hospital with Josie, or having to leave her there for a few weeks.

Yesterday we had an ultrasound to check on the size of the baby as well as cervical length...we got good news and bad news. Josie weighs appoximataly 4 pounds 10 ounces, which is just a little bit above average, so wonderful news! However, although I have not dilated past 1cm, my cervix has become very short. It measured about 3.5 cm at the last ultrasound but is now down to 1cm. I also have been feeling a lot of pressure and have been having a few more contractions lately, so the doctor hooked me up to the monitor for a little while. I had one contraction in about 15 minutes, so he sent us up to the hospital to be monitored for a few hours. I had around 4 to 5 contractions an hour for the first couple hours, then they picked up a little for long enough for me to need a shot of terbutaline. They took a couple hours to settle down, but did not come back after the terbutaline wore off so we got to go home around 6pm.

I'm so glad we didn't have to stay, but nervous that the time is near. It seems like the Procardia isn't working like it did for a while, which we were afraid of. I have strict orders to remain on bedrest and go in with more than 4 contractions in an hour. Just a couple more weeks...please!!

No comments: