Sunday, May 25, 2008

on the day you turned one...

on the day you turned one
I gave you your first balloon
I let you play with the real remote
rip up the newspaper
push buttons on the telephone
eat on my lap
bite my nose
mush up a whole cupcake
I treasured every giggle
gave you extra kisses
played with you a little more
held you a little tighter
rocked you a little longer
put you to bed a little later
prayed for you a little harder
and when you were asleep
I went into your room to check on you
I looked at you a little closer
and I remembered
how tiny you once were
how much we had gone through
and I realized
how far you've come
how tall you've grown
how much you've learned
and how proud I am of you
then I envisioned
all the years to come
and what each one would bring
dollies, wagons, picking flowers
pony tails, beaches, and bugs
baking, shopping, painting nails
and lots of kisses and hugs
and then as my heart overflowed
and as the tears fell
I had never felt so lucky
then right there in your room as you slept
one year made one word real
miracle

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Wow! That was wonderful! Thanks for sharing! It's pretty unbelievable that a year has already gone by.

Happy Birthday, Josie!